Thursday, November 09, 2006

010 . Motion Capture for The Duelists

Last posting I promised you an exciting and interesting development in the production of my short film. That development is motion capture! Earlier this week I flew from Los Angeles to Orlando to work with some old friends at the Digital Animation and Visual Effects (D.A.V.E.) school in Florida.

There I worked with Motion Capture Supervisor Dave West (wearing the checkered shirt below) and lead Motion Capture artist Sam Mendoza (pictured standing) to capture all eight minutes of the film on their state of the art optical capture stage using the actual motion capture cameras used by Sony Pictures Imageworks on their CG film Monster House. (The D.A.V.E. acquired the gear after the wrapping of Monster House).

I'm wearing the reflective suit because I knew the character and the story the best. Plus this film will still be a mixture of hand-keyed animation and motion capture so I wanted to try and see what it would be like to capture a movie in a pose to pose style. Hopefully if I do my job right you won't be able to tell which parts are captured and which are keyed.

It was also great to see my old friends Jeff Scheetz, Lee Stringer, and the Godfather of television visual effects himself, Ron Thornton. I was very impressed with the facility as well as the work the students were producing. All in all it was a very cool visit.